Is the Core Places-US data before 2020 only observed from March 2020-November 2020?

Hi! Is the Core Places-US data before 2020 only observed from March 2020-November 2020? Are there any past data sources?

Hi @Afraz_Khan_Sauder_School_of_Business, Core Places has columns called opened_on, closed_on, tracking_opened_since, and tracking_closed_since that can help you understand when POIs were open/closed. So the past data will be included in the most recent release.

Related: Weekly Patterns comes with a release_metadata.csv file that tells you which month of Places was used for that week of Patterns.

Hi Ryan, I can’t see it for the old Before 2020 file. Is it only there for the latest release?

Hi @Afraz_Khan_Sauder_School_of_Business, sorry—can you please elaborate? What can’t you see?

Hi sure, so for Before Nov 2020 Core-US, under the core_poi-part1.csv files under March 2020, the columns closed_on etc. do not exist. Is it because this information is recorded only in the recent file (the May 2021 core-US data?) and is it safe to assume it’s complete (I can work out from these columns that the 2018 data can have POIs which existed but were closed_on 2019 for example)

Ahh I see, thanks for clarifying! Yes, those columns may not be included in every release. I have not confirmed myself that the closed_on etc columns are in the May 2021 US Core Places—have you seen that they are included?

More info on the “completeness” of those columns can be found in this section of the Places Manual. I would suggest reading through that section—it may answer your questions better than I can!