I have a question about the historical patterns data

Hi, I have a question about the historical patterns data.On your FAQ page I saw this entry:
Historical Patterns activity from October 2016 through and including December 2016 was generated using the April 2019 release of Places. We no longer externally provide this data.”

I was wondering if it meant that you had sort of a trial period for Oct 2016-Dec 2016, but then started providing data since 2018 January, or that you have the data since Oct 2016 (including all of 2017, too), but you decided not to provide these data externally? I’m working on a project related to the child care market and since it is a slowly changing market I’m wondering if there is any data available on the name, address, and visitors for child care programs prior to 2018, even if it is just one time point in a given year (like 2016 October, and 2017 October). I understand if not, just wanted to make sure.

This topic was automatically generated from Slack. You can find the original thread here.

Hi Thanks for reaching out! We are looking into it and will get back to you once we have an answer.

Hey our data starts from Jan 1 2018. We don’t have any data prior to 2018

Hi - here is a similar thread that may be helpful. We only support data from January 2018 and on.

That sounds like a cool application! Unfortunately the main issue here is not that we have the data and we just don’t want to share externally (that would be pretty mean of us!), but that the data from before are just not compatible with current data.

There have been a lot of changes both in our Core Places dataset, and in our panel, etc, that make data prior to 2018 substantively different than Jan 1 2018 onward. So if you saw a difference in visitors it would be very hard to say whether those differences were real or if they were an artifact due to such changes. Sorry we can’t be of more help, but I hope it’s useful to understand why!

Hi ! Just confirming that we answered your question. I’m going to go ahead and close this thread out. If you have any more questions or follow-up questions, we’re always here to help! Just be sure to make a new post to safegraphdata, as we aren’t monitoring old threads at this time. Thanks!

This is great, thank you for all the info.