I have a question about Places/Place IDs

Hi everyone. I have a question about places/place IDs. I am currently looking at the number of visitors to the Oakland Coliseum stadium in July. When I search by the stadium address, many different results come up. I think I’ve narrowed it down to three places but am wondering why there are three to begin with and if I can just use one of them. These are the 3 placekeys: zzw-225@5vg-85t-ct9 zzw-222@5vg-85t-cdv zzw-224@5vg-85t-ct9

I want to find the total number of visitors from each census block, which would mean aggregating the visitor_home_cbgs variable. But because I have three locations, simply summing could lead to duplicate counts (assuming a visitor could be recorded in all three of these places). What would you recommend I do? Is there one location I should use?

This topic was automatically generated from Slack. You can find the original thread here.

hmm interesting… I want to look at visits to A’s games. Would you recommend I just look at the place called “Oakland A’s”? Or is there a risk of not capturing everyone if I only use that place?

Do visitors to A’s games park in all lots (I feel like they do, but I’ve only ever been to one A’s game in my life). If so, then probably looking at all places works. But you might get visits on other days for non-A’s things, like concerts, etc

hmm yeah, I think they could park anywhere. But does that matter? Assuming visitors make their way to the A’s stadium/section of the coliseum, wouldn’t their data be captured?

I actually don’t think there were many other events at the coliseum in the month, so I will probably just aggregate all three, but I am curious about how/when visitor data is captured

Yes true - they should. The thinking behind including the larger one would only be to capture additional visitors who might have been attributed there. You could always try aggregating 2 vs 3 and looking at the difference

FYI this reminded me that someone form SafeGraph actually correlated our foot traffic data with different stadium attendances for games (Google Colab) - looks like for Oakland Coliseum there was a correlation of 0.87 with foot traffic data (although it varies by stadium)

cool! I will check it out. Thanks so much for your help/advice with all of this!!

Of course! Excited to see what comes of it!

Thanks ! Glad we were able to get you some answers on this. I’m going to go ahead and close this thread out. If you have any more questions or follow-up questions, we’re always here to help! Just be sure to make a new post to safegraphdata, as we aren’t monitoring old threads at this time. Thanks!