How does Safegraph find the floor during visit attribution?

Hello! How does Safegraph find the floor during visit attribution?

My little understanding of the Polygons make me feel that POIs on different floors get mapped to the same Polygon (using GPS data)

Please, correct me if I am wrong!

Hi @Tushar_Mohta_IIT_Kharagpur, you may interested in this thread. Visit attribution for POIs that are vertically stacked on top of each other is difficult. There are some tricks that SG uses to attribute these visits more accurately—they’re described in the SafeGraph Visit Attribution whitepaper. For example, if floor two is a bakery and floor one is a bar/club, time of visit might be useful in assigning which POI the visit should be attributed to.

As for the polygons part of your question, I believe each POI can still have a unique polygon even if it’s a floor above another POI. Of course, if the POIs are the exact same shape, then the polygons should be the same. But if floor one is shared between two POIs and floor two is just one POI, I would typically expect that to be reflected in their geometries

1 Like

@Ryan_Kruse_MN_State Just finished reading the whitepaper. I couldn’t find it addressing this issue.

Although what you wrote about using times is a good indicator, I guess it would become really hard for SG to attribute visits in multistorey buildings.

Also, I had some doubts in the whitepaper in Learning-to-Rank Model Summary, but I don’t know if this is the right channel to ask it?