Why are there visits to a POI before the opening date?

Hi there, I have a question regarding the variable ‘number of visits/visitors’ in the monthly patterns data in Safegraph. For many POIs, there is still number of visits/visitors before the opening date recorded by Safegraph, I wonder if there is imputation of foot traffic by Safegraph. If so, how Safegraph does the imputation of number of visits?

This topic was automatically generated from Slack. You can find the original thread here.

Hey @Qianyang_Zhang_Columbia_University - can you share any example POIs that you’re seeing this with?

sg:0006c78006c74e7d8e16abb40e4dfb8a is one example, it has raw_visit_counts starting from Jan 2018, but the Safegraph-recorded opening date is Jan 2020

What’s the placekey for this POI?

222-223@undefined x4-4vr-w8v

Hey @Qianyang_Zhang_Columbia_University - looking at this Placekey and I’m not seeing the same issue. Looks like 222-223@undefined x4-4vr-w8v is a Baskin Robbins in Core Places and opened_on is Null.

If you haven’t already, you might check out the Determining When POI Open and Close section in our docs page. We started tracking open/close in 2019-07, so all entries in these columns will be after this date. It’s possible that there’s Patterns data preceding 2019-07 for some POIs. However, that indicates that the POI would have opened before 2019-07.