What does "number of visits in our panel to this POI" mean for raw_visit_counts? POI includes all store data instead of only samples, correct?

Hi there, I have two questions about POI visits and SafeGraph POI data.

One question is about the meaning of raw_visit_counts: number of visits in our panel to this POI during the date range. Does the POI include all POIs in the geographical units based on our studied scales? For example, if my study is at the U.S. county level, then the visit count indicates the number of visits to all POIs in individual counties; if my study is at the Census Block Group level, then the visit count indicates the number of visits to all POIs in individual CBGs. Correct?

Second, I want to confirm that SafeGraph gets all factual POIs instead of samples by crawling store locators on webs, correct? SafeGraph says it has around 10% mobile device penetration in the U.S. (Google Colab). I assume mobility data origins from this sampling data, yet POI data includes all store data, correct? Can you please direct me to the files about how SafeGraph obtains the POI data?

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Hi! So in Patterns the raw_visit_counts include the aggregated count of visits to a POI from SafeGraph’s selected panel of mobile devices. A device needs to remain within the POI for more than 4 minutes in order to be counted in this column.

As for your other question, this link should help you!

Hi Joseph! Thank you for the kind reply. I see what you mean. I kind of confused myself because I dealt with county-level data and adopted the median value of the number of visits to any POIs in the county. Now I am clear.

1 Like

To further clarify the difference:
Raw_visit_counts is the number of devices that we observed at a particular Point of Interest during the data range, based on a cluster of cell-phone pings lasting for >4 minutes.

For Neighborhood Patterns, we measure a stop to be a cluster of pings within the Census Block Group for >1 minute (different than Patterns >4 minutes).