Quick question about the Core Places classification for postal services (NAICS 491110). Do these POIs only include customer-facing facilities like post offices, or also non-customer-facing facilities like mail processing/distribution centers?

Hi everyone. Quick question about the Core Places classification for postal services (NAICS 491110). Do these POIs only include customer-facing facilities like post offices, or also non-customer-facing facilities like mail processing/distribution centers?

Hi @Alex_Zentefis_Yale_University, I know this doesn’t answer your question, but here’s a link to how SafeGraph assigns NAICS. Are you able to check specific POIs that you would expect to be in this category? Or ones that might be/might not be? I would suggest checking a handful of customer-facing facilities to see if they are under that code or if they have a different one.

If you need any help doing that, just let me know!

We were thinking the same @Ryan_Kruse_MN_State (i.e., to compare and contrast a few places). I’ll write back if we find any non-customer facing ones. Was just curious if someone knew off hand. Thanks for your response!

Hi @Ryan_Kruse_MN_State! Just updating to let you know that we found non-customer facing Post Office facilities in the Core Places. A sizeable fraction of them actually! Thanks for your help on this.

@Alex_Zentefis_Yale_University Thanks for the update! Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with