None of them have 6 digits. Is this normal?

Hello everyone, one of our PhD students appended Placekeys to some local businesses, but the keys are of this format:
222@647-3gh-8vz
222@63d-5tw-3nq
222@63v-74k-435
22k@8fw-23q-vzz
225@5p7-gmc-zpv
222@665-yc8-p35
None of them have 6 digits prior to @. Is this normal? I tried putting some of these business addresses in by hand on placekey.io website, and also came up with the same keys. Moreover, when she tried to merge these with POIs in Safegraph using the generated placekeys, many of the merges were 1:many, so she merged to multiple businesses in Safegraph data. Has anyone experienced this and if so how did you deal with this? Ideally, we’d like unique merges or a way to clean up the merged data to come to the most likely match. Thank you in advance for any input.

Hello, @Olga_Gorbachev_University_of_Delaware. These placekeys only have 3 digits in front of the @ because there is no POI encoding associated with these locations.

As for the 1:many merges between the POI’s, Since there are no unique POI’s associated with the Address it could be a case of multiple businesses associated with the same address (ie. multiple businesses in the same building).

Here is the link to the placekey white paper if you’re looking for more information: https://docs.placekey.io/Placekey_Encoding_Specification_White_Paper.pdf

Let me know if you have any more questions.

is see, so it what instances is the POI encoding not available? and is there anything that can be done to sharpen the match?

@Olga_Gorbachev_University_of_Delaware can I get a sample address that you are using for this placekey?

sure, here is an example:

businessname address city state zip
ARCTIC SLOPE NATIVE ASSOCIATION, LTD. 7000 Uula St BARROW AK 99723
COPPER RIVER SEAFOODS, INC. 1118 5TH AVE ANCHORAGE AK 99501
CORVUS AIRLINES INC 4700 Old International Airport Rd Anchorage AK 99502

borrowername borroweraddress borrowercity borrowerstate borrowerzip placekey
KAREN BABAYAN DBA CUSTOM WOOD FLOORING 6341 N DOLORES AVE FRESNO CA 93711 222@5z7-s6n-j9z
FIVE STAR ASSISTED LIVING 2573 W BARSTOW AVE FRESNO CA 93711-2567 222@5z7-s6n-k9f
FRANCO PAOLILLI 3097 W BULLARD AVE FRESNO CA 93711-1609 222@5z7-s6n-rp9

is it possible that you’re not including businessname (borrowername in the case of the second example u sent) as the location_name parameter. Placekey needs to have the location_name parameter to include the POI encoding.

are you saying that when you put in the details (including borrower name) you get a different Placeky from the one I geet?

sorry, how are you generating the placekeys? is the process being done programmatically?

my grad student generated them using Python code.

i can send it to you if that helps

@Olga_Gorbachev_University_of_Delaware yes can I see the code snippet they used to produce the placekeys?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cYgqSU9Uw3nJ_UwyWiBzreluFtW73KD7/view?ts=60ad136e

please let me know if you can open the file

@Olga_Gorbachev_University_of_Delaware I was able to access the file. I’m looking into your issue and will get back to you

thank you

Hi @Pranav_Thaenraj_SafeGraph == any update on this?

@Olga_Gorbachev_University_of_Delaware dory for the delay, I tried putting some of your data that you provided through the placekey generation process. It seems that out of these records that you provided me :

businessname address city state zip
ARCTIC SLOPE NATIVE ASSOCIATION, LTD. 7000 Uula St BARROW AK 99723
COPPER RIVER SEAFOODS, INC. 1118 5TH AVE ANCHORAGE AK 99501
CORVUS AIRLINES INC 4700 Old International Airport Rd Anchorage AK 99502

the first and the third locations are not registered with Placekey but the second one returned a full placekey. Are any of your records producing full placekeys? If everything was done properly you should have gotten at least the COPPER RIVER SEAFOODS placekey with POI encoding

well, more than 90% of the data get no POI encoding. what is the correct way to figure out the CBG of these POIs? are the 9 digits after the @ enough for that info? and would I be merging it to which Safegraph file?