My basic question: is there data that can track the mnovements of essential workers vs those on lockdown during the early pandemic period?

Hello Ross told me to post a question here. I’m looking for data that tracks movement of people during 3/20 to 5/20. My basic question: is there data that can track the mnovements of essential workers vs those on lockdown during the early pandemic period?

There’s no information in the SafeGraph data about personal characteristics of the people who own the devices, so no way to separate out essential workers. That said, two things you can do:

1. You do know the home location of the device, and could use information about the proportion of essential workers in each CBG to get a rough idea of essential worker vs other travel
  2. There is an experimental variable in the Neighborhood Patterns data (Neighborhood Patterns | SafeGraph Docs ) that makes an aggregate count of “work behavior” - people leaving in the morning, staying in the same place a long time, and coming back. You can take this as a rough measure of travel done for the purposes of work, although who knows if they’re really essential workers, and of course you can’t track a given visitor to other locations.

This is very helpful thank you! I’m looking into different CBGs now.