Is it possible for anyone to provide insight on how the bucketed dwell times parameter for was collected or processed?

Hello everyone, I apologize if this question has already been asked before. I am working with the places patterns dataset for a research project. Is it possible for anyone to provide insight on how the bucketed dwell times parameter for was collected or processed? I am specifically working with the <5 mins dwell time data. Thanks!

Places | SafeGraph Docs (and the related median_dwell just above that)

Hi @Pranav_Chimote, @Tony1 linked the exact right resource for you. To add a bit to Tony’s response, the dwell time buckets should be thought of as minimum dwell time buckets, because the dwell time for each individual device’s visit is calculated as the time between the first ping at the POI and the last ping at the POI. Let me know if you have any more questions!

@Tony1 @Ryan_Kruse_MN_State Thanks a lot for the info!

No problem, @Pranav_Chimote!

@Ryan_Kruse_MN_State 1 small question, apologies if it sounds naive but is there a way to know what is the frequency of said pings? Just wanted to figure out if there is any noise possible due to a customer leaving and coming back to the POI in a small duration of time.

Hi @Pranav_Chimote, no apology necessary :slightly_smiling_face: There really isn’t a way to know the frequency of pings. There may be some noise related to a customer leaving and coming back to the POI in a small duration of time. Visits are attributed based on clusters of pings. The frequency of a device’s pings will vary a lot from device to device. If the same device visits the same POI multiple times in a month, that will be reflected by the raw_visit_counts vs raw_visitor_counts numbers.

Otherwise, I would also suggest you check out the Visit Attribution whitepaper!