I'm trying to use the US open census data for 2016, but it seems the data was opened on Excel and the census_block_group values are broken with scientific notation

Hey I’m trying to use the US open census data for 2016, but it seems the data was opened on Excel and the census_block_group values are broken with scientific notation. When I try to convert this number, it gives me a wrong census_block_group.

This topic was automatically generated from Slack. You can find the original thread here.

Hi Thanks for reaching out! We are looking into it and will get back to you once we have an answer.

Hi ! Appreciate you flagging this. It sounds similar to an issue another member in the community brought up a while back. Are you having issues opening the same file referenced in this thread? Unfortunately, I don’t believe there is a good solution to this issue.

Yes it’s the same error. I know how to fix that, if it keep the same order than the other files. I’ll just copy the first column into the wrong files.

Thank you!

Thanks for the note on the workaround! Will keep that in mind for other users running into this issue. I’m going to go ahead and close this thread out. If you have any more questions or follow-up questions, we’re always here to help! Just be sure to make a new post to safegraphdata, as we aren’t monitoring old threads at this time. Thanks!