I was wondering if Safegraph would assign the same id to different stores at the same location

Hi Safegraph team, I was wondering if Safegraph would assign the same id to different stores at the same location. I noticed that Safegraph tracks many POIs of their monthly patterns of raw visit counts before the POI opens, and continues to track their foot traffic after they close.

This topic was automatically generated from Slack. You can find the original thread here.

hey – just to confirm when you say “id” are you referring to the Placekey? If so, each store would have a unique Placekey even if they were in the same location (I.e. shopping mall)

Hi Saumil, I was referring to safegraph_place_id when I say “id”

If each store had a unique safegraph_place_id too, I was wondering what could be the reasons that Safegraph could have records for their visit counts/visitor counts before these stores open or after they close dates which are documented in local newspapers

That is a great question! could you create a ticket for Product to look into? We will get back to you as soon as we know @U01U2HLFZHQ

thank you!

Of course! Just opened a ticket for Product on this.

We’ll keep you updated @U01U2HLFZHQ as we find out more!

Hi , please see this note under “Visit Nuances” in our docs:
> Relationship with POI opening and closing dates - Where the dates of POI opening and closing are known (see opened_on and closed_on columns in Core Places, no visits will be attributed to the POI before the opened_on date or after the closed_on date. If these dates are not known, it is possible for the algorithm to mis-attribute visits for those POIs (e.g., after a POI has closed in real life but where this knowledge has not yet been captured in our data).
In other words, even if stores have open and close dates documented in local newspapers, those might not be captured by our Core Places data and so visits could be mis-attributed in that case. That would explain what you’re seeing.

Hey ! Just confirming that we answered your question. I’m going to go ahead and close this thread out. If you have any more questions or follow-up questions, we’re always here to help! Just be sure to make a new post to safegraphdata, as we aren’t monitoring old threads at this time. Thanks!

Thank you!