I understand the neighborhood patterns data can be used to look at where visitors to a particular census block come from, but is there a dataset that does the reverse - ie look at where devices with their home in a certain CBG go to?

Hi safegraph team! I understand the neighborhood patterns data can be used to look at where visitors to a particular census block come from, but is there a dataset that does the reverse - ie look at where devices with their home in a certain CBG go to?

Hello @Matthew_Gordon_Yale_University, you can pull all the data and rearrange it to do what you are looking for.

In Neighborhood Patterns, you’ll want to use the device_home_areas column. If you take every row of that and vertically explode the JSON, you can regroup it by home CBG instead of visitor CBG. This will give you what you’re looking for

let me know if you have any other questions.

That’ll work! But are cbgs with low device counts censored from that column?

Hey @Matthew_Gordon_Yale_University
We have added Laplacian noise to the values in certain columns within Neighborhood Patterns (including device_home_areas). After adding noise, only attributes (e.g., a census block group) with at least two devices are included in the data. For these columns, we do not report data unless at least 2 visitors are observed from that group. If there are between 2 and 4 visitors, this is reported as 4.