I have a question about industry codes - specifically the NAICS codes that reside in the CORE_POI files

Hello folks! I have a question about industry codes - specifically the NAICS codes that reside in the CORE_POI files. I’m working on a project to understand the impact of COVID on pain management and how access to cannabis affects that. I’m trying to identify foot traffic into dispensaries in the PATTERNS data by merging on the NAICS codes that are provided in the CORE_POI files. This is no problem for 03/20 to the present - the NAICS codes give me the info I need. However, I can’t seem to find the CORE_POI files for 01/19 through 02/20. I have the PATTERNS monthly files for those months , but PATTERNS doesn’t include the NAICS codes. Does anyone know where to find the files that include the NAICS codes for 01/19 through 02/20? (Bonus points: the CORE_POI files also include latitude and longitude, which makes for a very welcome reprieve from ArcGIS to geocode the addresses in PATTERNS - so I’d love to get that too, if it’s also available.)

This topic was automatically generated from Slack. You can find the original thread here.

Hi Thanks for reaching out! We are looking into it and will get back to you once we have an answer.

Hey David – see this thread about historical Core file and let me know if it answers your question: Slack

Not entirely. I thought I understood that the current CORE_POI files were inclusive of places that closed. But, when I load up the earliest CORE_POI file I have (03/2020) and compare it to the most recent one I’ve downloaded (06/2021), I see that there are 507,739 safegraph_pace_id that are in the 03/2020 CORE_POI file that are not in the 06/2021 CORE_POI file. I would have thought the earlier file would be a proper subset of the later one. This makes me worried about using the most current CORE_POI file to assign NAICS codes to places in the 2019 PATTERNS data.

Thanks David for the context! could you create a JIRA ticket of our product team to look at?

Hi ! Thanks for the additional details. Looping Product into this conversation. We’ll get back to you with any updates. Thanks, David!

Hi - appreciate your patience on this. Received some information from our Product team that I think you will find helpful. Check out this resource when you can:

The “Drops” section of our release notes addresses why placekeys drop from our data. Sometimes placekeys drop for good reason (i.e., like identifying a duplicate and merging with its counterpart). Thanks, David!

Hi ! Just confirming that we answered your question. I’m going to go ahead and close this thread out. If you have any more questions or follow-up questions, we’re always here to help! Just be sure to make a new post to safegraphdata, as we aren’t monitoring old threads at this time. Thanks!

Thanks!