I am trying to reproduce these dashboards (<https://www.safegraph.com/data-examples/covid19-commerce-patterns> and <https://www.safegraph.com/data-examples/covid19-shelter-in-place>) just for Michigan

Hi, I am trying to reproduce these dashboards (Places Data Curated for Accurate Geospatial Analytics | SafeGraph and https://www.safegraph.com/data-examples/covid19-shelter-in-place) just for Michigan.
I thought after I downloaded the data, I could combine and upload it to ArcGIS Insights platform and play around.
I’ve been reading Slack, but I couldn’t even figure out where to start to replicate this Slack for Michigan. I downloaded mostly everything and was trying to extract and combine each csv so I could make one huge file and continue. I am not even sure if that is the right approach (Moreover, seems like a pretty bad idea). Does anyone know if there is a source that I could read or follow instructions? I know I asked a vague question but any suggestion will lead me to a better spot than I am in now.

This topic was automatically generated from Slack. You can find the original thread here.

Hi Thanks for reaching out! We are looking into it and will get back to you once we have an answer.

Hey - thanks for your patience on this. I’ve brought in a member from our Product team to look further into this. We’ll keep you in the loop with any updates. Thanks!

Hi - what parts are causing you trouble?

Firstly, the original dashboard looks at Patterns data, specifically the visits_by_day column, and filters to specific categories, and then plots. After that there are some more advanced steps such as normalization and indexing, but I am happy to help walk through them if useful.

As a starter, I would peruse our Data Science Resources page, specifically our Google Colab Python notebook on plotting time series data.

Let us know if that is helpful, or else a bit more about where you are so we can point you to the right resources!

Thank you for the response , I will follow those demos. I will probably need help with those advanced steps (normalization and indexing).
My first trouble is loading and reading the csv files. I only need for State of Michigan, I got the Core Poi Patterns for MI and there are so many files on my drive. I want to visualize social distancing and Foot Traffic in MI using social distansing metrics and patterns data. Do I need to combine them in one file or I need to work on each file separate which doesn’t make sense. If I modify, would these functions in the code block Google Colab read all the files when called even though they are in .gz format in my local drive.

Hey ! One thing to help you get started - for any files with the .gz file extension, you will need to unzip them first. That will allow you to access them in .csv format. At that point, you can join them together to process the data all at once.

Hi ! Just confirming that we answered your question. I’m going to go ahead and close this thread out. If you have any more questions or follow-up questions, we’re always here to help! Just be sure to make a new post to safegraphdata, as we aren’t monitoring old threads at this time. Thanks!