How can I find out the average number of panel members for the Bronx, NY?

How can I find out the average number of panel members for the Bronx, NY? I’m trying to express the number of devices in the SafeGraph data as a percentage of the Bronx population.

Hi @Nevin_Cohen_CUNY_School_of_Public_Health, have you checked the manual here? if you look under patterns you might find what you need.

let me know if this helps or if you need more information!

• I read this: Small geographic bias exists in our panel based on our understanding of the home locations of the devices in the panel.
• SafeGraph tested for geographic bias by comparing its determination of the state-by-state numbers of home location of the devices in the panel to the true proportions reported by the 2016 US Census.
• Based on that analysis, SafeGraph panel density closely mirrors true population density. Overall average percentage point difference < 1%. Maximum +/-3% per state.
but I’m looking for an analogous statistic at the county (Bronx County) level, if that is possible. Alternatively, I would want to know the average number of devices in the Bronx, perhaps over the past 12 months?

@Nevin_Cohen_CUNY_School_of_Public_Health The number of devices included will be different by time. Are you looking at devices with a home location in Bronx, NY? The “home_panel_summary” dataset might be useful: Places | SafeGraph Docs

I’m looking for the number of devices with a home location in Bronx, NY.

@Nevin_Cohen_CUNY_School_of_Public_Health Can you check the “home_panel_summary” dataset? Please scroll down this page to “Panel Overview Data” for the data dictionary and descriptions. It seems to me that the “number_devices_residing” variable will be useful. For selecting Bronx you will have to select NY state and then get a list of all census block groups in Bronx.

I know how to add up the number of devices residing fields by CBG for a county like the Bronx for a specific day/time period. I was hoping that SafeGraph would have an average number of devices so that I could estimate the percentage of the population of the Bronx represented by the patterns data.

@Nevin_Cohen_CUNY_School_of_Public_Health Do you mean an average number of devices residing in Bronx, NY seen in SafeGraph data over time?

Yes.

@Nevin_Cohen_CUNY_School_of_Public_Health SafeGraph data are all grouped by CBGs, you will have to construct county level data by aggregating the CBGs.

I know that SafeGraph data are grouped by CBGs. I wanted to know if SafeGraph had the aggregate numbers. I guess the answer is “no.”

Thanks for your help.