Has anyone looked into the weekly patterns data for the latest week?

Has anyone looked into the weekly patterns data for the latest week? It looks like foot traffic in Nashville in the week of Feb 15-21 has dropped over 100% from a week ago. Any idea why?

Hi @Sissi_Li_American_Enterprise_Institute, can you give some more information on how you got to this information? I would like to recreate it on my end

1. take the latest weekly pattern data and the week prior and then filter it down to Nashville
  2. ?
  3. plot it
    Is there anything else in between step 1 and 3?

@Jack_Lindsay_Kraken1 Sure! Here’re my steps to create the foot traffic index:

1. take the latest weekly pattern data (Feb 15-21) and the week prior (Feb 8-14)
  2. Merge with Feb core places pattern data and keep only the merged
  3. then filter it down to Nashville CBSA
  4. take weekly average of daily visits for the two weeks
  5. compare the two

@Jack_Lindsay_Kraken1 Just wondering if there’s any updates on this?

Hi @Sissi_Li_American_Enterprise_Institute, this completely slipped my mind, – I tried to find this thread the other day and completely lost it - very sorry about that! I will have an answer for you soon

@Sissi_Li_American_Enterprise_Institute I’m going to look into this.

@Jack_Lindsay_Kraken1 No worries! Just wondering if you get the same results since I still don’t have an explanation for this.

@Thomas_Young_Econometric_Studios_Utah_Legislature Thanks!

@Sissi_Li_American_Enterprise_Institute Ya, let me confirm what you’re seeing for those weeks. Thanks.

Hi @Thomas_Young_Econometric_Studios_Utah_Legislature Sorry for late reply. I went back and checked my raw data and realized I was actually comparing the data downloaded on 2/17 to the data downloaded on 2/24, which then corresponds to the week of 2/8 compared to the week of 2/15. So this means the result from your first attempt (-38%) is what I’m looking for. Sorry for the confusion here!
I recalculated the foot traffic change for Nashville following your code and was able to reproduce the 38% number.
This still seems to me a quite big dip. I know the massive snowstorm hit Texas in that week - did it also affect Nashville?

@Sissi_Li_American_Enterprise_Institute Hmm. Good question. I’m don’t know a whole lot about what was happening in Nashville at the time.

@Thomas_Young_Econometric_Studios_Utah_Legislature that’s okay. Thanks for replicating this test. It was super helpful!