Does anyone know an existing source for easily linking Merchant Category Codes (credit card industry classification codes for businesses) [MCC] to NAICS (industrial classification system) codes?

Does anyone know an existing source for easily linking Merchant Category Codes (credit card industry classification codes for businesses) [MCC] to NAICS (industrial classification system) codes?

@Daniel_Cooper_Federal_Reserve_Bank_of_Boston - do you happen to know the actual merchant (or the transaction string)? we may be able to help match transaction -> brand/POI -> NAICS

cc @Roshan_George_SafeGraph

I have been looking at the Affinity data and I was hoping to collapse some of the MCC codes into broader industry data (at the state-level). (Can those data be cut a different way to allow easier conversion?) I was hoping to do something similar with the Facteus data but I have not had a chance to look into those yet. Thanks!

@Roshan_George_SafeGraph - how are we able to help with these joins?

I remember looking for a crosswalk at a previous request and not finding one. I’m going to see if we can make one.

@ross_epstein_safegraph pointed me to places/categories at master · Factual/places · GitHub who have a CC-BY crosswalk available.

I joined the results to create this crosswalk. Note that some of the NAICS codes here refer to more coarse levels, i.e. 7211 means any of 721110, 721120, 721191, 721199 so when you join you should attempt to join on the prefix if the code is shorter than six characters.